Journal Prompts to Decide What Career Is Right For You
Updated: Apr 13, 2021
Are you indecisive af? Maybe feeling completely lost? Adulting not your thing? Wanting to change your college major? Losing passion in your career? GIRL - I feel you. That was me two years ago. I was on track to become a dietitian and graduate college, but not loving my major and looking for a way out. But I didn't know what I actually wanted to do with my life. I had no idea on what I loved, but had no idea how to turn them into a career..
I am happy to say I figured it out! I have a career I am obsessed, doing work that fuels my soul, and best of all - I still have the FREEDOM to pursue all my other passions!
My hope is that these journal prompts will help you do the same. Luckily, we live in a world where the internet allows us to make money doing basically anything! So get a notebook and pen, light a candle, play some soft music, and get ready to change your life!
1. If you had all the time and money in the world, how would you spend your day? When would you wake up? What would you eat? Where would you live? What do you do everyday without fail? Journal it all out.
2. Think back to a time when you felt completely fulfilled. Did you receive something? Did you give away something? Did you help someone? Journal a couple instances when your heart was full.
3. What's that one thing you're known for? Amazing at soccer? Best cookies ever? Kindest heart? List a couple things your friends would say about you to a stranger.
4. What are you constantly googling? What books or documentaries are you loving at the moment? Do you follow a ton of blogs about the same thing? Share it all
5. Lastly, if you could tell the world ONE THING what advice would you give us all?
Hopefully, all these journal prompts helped you get a lot more clear not just on what you're good at, but what you LOVE! As I mentioned before ANYTHING can be a job these days with the internet. (seriously...people make money writing those Buzzfeed quizzes guessing my age and height off of cupcakes. Btw I am NOT 25 and 6'1 @buzzfeed!)
Look over all your answers again and see if a certain word or phrase resonates or brings you joy. From there start googling it more! See how other people are sharing work (And making money) around that topic!
Maybe you are obsessed with teaching your dog new tricks. Could you start a blog or youtube teaching others tricks and place ads on your pages as well as use affiliate marketing to make money playing with your pup? (*hint* the answer is YES!)
Maybe you love finding DIY facials and hair masks to do on the weekends! Could you create your own ebook with your own versions and sell it online? (again...the answer is YES!)
Maybe you love talking about quantum physics and energy healing. Could you start a podcast and interview people in that field as well as riff on what you're learning? From there could you create an online course teaching others more? (you guessed it..YES!)
EVERY single thing you LOVE can be monetized and automated if you're willing to think outside the box! The beauty of this is that you can pursue these side hustles as an outlet or scale them to a full time income and completely change careers for very little money.
For example, I started my own online lifestyle coaching business for less than $200. I didn't even know lifestyle coaching was a thing! Now it is my full time job that I work from my couch in my pjs with my rescue puppy. I spend all my time on Pinterest or my blog writing content like this to reach more people or training my clients and the ladies I business mentor through FaceTime. Basically, I built a career based on my love of Pinterest, Fitness, and never leaving the house!
Now it's your turn! Follow your heart. Believe that you are made for more. And do the damn thing!