Caprese Chicken with Pesto
Quick, easy, and Italian aka my favorite words to describe dinner! My girlfriend and I are obsessed with basil and pesto right now (we may have even started planting our indoor herb garden cause we can't wait) so this twist on a Caprese Chicken is PERF!
Try it out tonight and let me see how pretty it turns out by tagging me on instagram!
1 (4-oz.) raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless
1 dash + 1 pinch ground black pepper, divided use
½ tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. Pesto
2 thick slices large tomato
6 large fresh basil leaves, divided use
1 slice fresh part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 oz.)
1 pinch sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1. Season both sides of chicken evenly with 1 dash pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet over high heat.
3. Add chicken; cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle.
4. Top chicken with pesto, tomato, 4 basil leaves, and cheese. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add small splash of water to pan; cook, covered, for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are softened.
5. Season with salt and remaining 1 pinch pepper. Drizzle with vinegar.
6. Serve topped with remaining 2 basil leaves.